×

Chariot to add new license to offshore Morocco oil and gas portfolio

18th December 2020

Oil and gas exploration company Chariot Oil & Gas has negotiated the key terms of a new licence, Rissana Offshore, located in Morocco.

Chariot said on Monday that the formal award of the licence is anticipated to occur in 2021 and is subject to the normal Moroccan regulatory procedures and approvals. The 75 per cent interest and operatorship of the Rissana licence to be awarded to a wholly-owned subsidiary of Chariot Oil & Gas Limited in partnership with the Office National des Hydrocarbures et des Mines (ONHYM), which will hold the remaining 25 per cent interest.

News Image
Map of licences offshore Morocco. Source: Chariot Oil & Gas

Rissana, covering an approximate area of 8,476km2, will completely surround the offshore boundaries of Chariot’s existing Lixus Offshore Licence, which contains the Anchois gas discovery, as well as covering the most prospective northern areas of the previously held Mohammedia Offshore Licence and Kenitra Offshore Licence.

Mohammedia and Kenitra licences have been relinquished by Chariot and ONHYM to allow incorporation of prospective areas already covered by 3D seismic data into the Rissana licence.

Chariot explained that the new licence provides material potential running room in various plays including the Mio-Pliocene gas play surrounding the Lixus licence and on-trend with the Anchois Gas Discovery.

The initial minimum licence commitment is the acquisition of a 2D seismic survey, over a portion of the acreage, which will help evaluate the extension and potential of these gas plays across Rissana.

Adonis Pouroulis, Chariot Acting CEO, commented: “With the anticipated formal award of the Rissana licence expected in 2021, we have shown Chariot’s strong commitment to both the Anchois gas project as well as to Morocco. I would like to personally thank ONHYM for their significant support over the year and we look forward to a highly active 2021 that will see us drive the Anchois development towards near term cashflow. We also anticipate completing Chariot’s full transformation to an energy transition group with the introduction of exciting new ventures in the New Year, which we look forward to updating our investors on in due course”.

Source: Offshore Energy